create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

January 21, 2012

Wonderfully Humongous World

Well two weeks down and I feel like I’ve been here forever. It’s crazy to think about everything I’ve seen and experienced so far. There are lots of things I miss about home, but it’s been really cool to be introduced to a different culture. Some things that I’ve had to adjust to:

My schedule! We eat meals very late here- lunch around 3pm and dinner around 10pm. So when I head off to class at 4 until 8 I feel like I’m just beginning my afternoon when in reality it’s evening time!

Shops and stores-Its very cool that there are so many little markets and shops to get food and supplies. Very different from the Fred Meyer or Target we have back in the states. It’s neat to walk into a little market and have all the employees talk to you and ask you how you’re doing-you can tell the little stores enjoy the customers and there’s a big sense of community here.

Speaking of community another thing I am getting used to is the greeting-whenever you see someone you know, you kiss their cheeks instead of giving hugs or high fives. I feel very classy.

There’s many other differences between the cultures here, for example in the home you wear slippers because it’s disrespect to be barefoot. This one is a little hard for me since I hate shoes, but Im getting better at remembering to wear my slippers. Also, Spaniards live with their families until their early 30s or whenever they get married as well. Most of the students I’ve met don’t own their own apartment but live with their families. Another culture difference is that the home is where you escape to….if you want to hang out with friends then you do so ‘in the streets”- at a park, a restaurant, getting tapas and drinks, etc. In class we also discussed differences in education. Most students in Spain don’t really compete with each other to succeed. Our professor in fact informed us that lots of students help each other on homework and even on tests (although teachers do not like it and students get in trouble if they get caught). But school is looked upon as gaining more knowledge, not being the best out of everyone to receive the best. School is only four days a week (no school on Friday!) and goes from about 9am till 2:30ish pm. The levels of schooling here are slightly different. Students go to escuela secondario (elementary and high school) until age 16. Then 16-17 year olds go to bachillerato (a two year program). After, students go to carrera universitano also called Universidad grado (college) for 4-6 years and then estudios de postgrado for further education.

Even though there are quite a few differences, I do feel very comfortable and at home here. There are many similarities between our two cultures as well: eating dinner together, importance of faith and family, going to school, shopping, hanging out with friends….enjoying life! I’m very grateful for my host mom Maria, who has treated me with nothing but kindness and compassion (she calls me guapa which means beautiful) and who has been very excited to teach me about her city and culture.


"The world needs people who love what He's Made"

 Learning more about Spain intrigues me for two reasons: one-it makes me understand how big and different the world truly is. I had a general idea of how other people lived within the differences between cultures and countries, but coming here has really gave me a better understanding. In realizing that the world is wonderfully humongous, I’m so in awe that God created it. His hand created this all. I’m truly blessed to have life. And although the world is huge and there are so many differences, the second thing I’ve learned has been how we all in a sense are connected…connected through Christ. We all have something in common. We are all brothers and sister through faith.


"For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him. And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together." Colossians 1:16-17

No comments:

Post a Comment