create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

January 22, 2012

So much history!


"I am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, "who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty." Revelation 1:8

Our trip this Saturday was a nice long walk through the Albaycin neighborhood, about a 20 minute walk up the hill from central Granada that overlooks the city and the Sierra Nevadas. This neighborhood is one of the oldest here in the city and within the buildings and streets lies centuries of history. It was probably my favorite trip we have taken this far, simply because I was experiencing medieval 11th century influences and plus…the views were spectacular.


Here is one of the first churches built after the Reconquista (the conquest movement of Christian authority of Spain over the Muslim power already established).



Since Granada was one of the last Muslim kingdoms standing, the architecture has both Christian and Muslim influences. Here is a picture of one of the many buildings that can be seen in this neighborhood. (Notice the arches and ceramic work)


At one time, there were three religions living together in Spain: Christianity, Islam, and Judaism. This picture displays just a small portion of the Jewish influence of Spain. However, just as Muslims were conquered during the Reconquista, the Jews were as well.


Like I said before, this walk was my favorite because of the views. Honestly, every time I see a view of Spain I can’t believe I’m here. This city is so beautiful and is filled with so much history and culture. Then the Revelation verse pops into my head. All these beautiful views, the people, the history….are all a part of God and His plan. God was here before the world was created, was here during the 11th century and through all of Spain’s history, and now is here with me today as I experience His beautiful creation of Granada Spain.





No comments:

Post a Comment