create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

March 21, 2012

Feliz Cumpleanos!

My golden birthday!! The big 2-0 on March 20th. and what better way to spend my birthday than in Spain?!

My host mom and her daughter had a little celebration with me and Ashley. My host mom made my favorite meal and they bought a chocolate ice cream cake. Then they all sang me Happy Birthday, but in spanish (obviously). It was very sweet of them to all create a special moment and to celebrate with me since I was so far away from home.

My friends and I celebrated on Friday. I invited some friends from my program as well as my spanish friends. We went out for tapas and danced the night away at Mae West. Having all of my friends celebrate with me, even though in reality we haven't really known each other for very long, made me feel very special. Most of my spanish friends dropped things to come celebrate with me, which also made me feel very important. It’s hard enough being away from loved ones, especially on holidays (like a birthday!) but it was great to spend it with people who have all influenced my experience here greatly!
Roommate Ashley!
Friends from my program: Victoria and Ben
Spanish friend Luismy!
Spanish friend Andres!
Spanish friend Sergio!

I also got a lot of love from back home! Presents, cards, birthday wishes via the web. Thanks so much to everyone. It really helped a lot to have your support and love on that day. More than you could ever have imagined!

Birthdays are a time to celebrate, but also a time to reflect. Over my twenty years (I know…I’m so old) God has given me some amazing opportunities, experiences…memories. Who knew that I would have lived in Spain?! Through big life changes and experiences come God’s richest lessons and blessings. Being here in Spain has taught me some wonderful things and I am so grateful for all that He has given me. These (going to be) five and a half months in Spain is a present that I will forever cherish.



"Happy Birthday to me! I’m twenty yippee!! I’m another year older, on the first day of spring!"

No comments:

Post a Comment